Re: postfix and hostname

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:

> Running squeeze on my VPS, and using postfix/dovecot/cyrus as my MTA,
> for a number of users, who pick up mail via IMAP (mostly Thunderbird).
> Postfix is configured to accept mail for user@vanderhoff.org, as well as
> a few other domains.
>
> The hostname for the server is set to vanderhoff.org.uk. This has been
> running fine for a number of years, but I am rationalising my domains,
> and want to change the hostname to vanderhoff.org. Nothing to do with
> the MTA really, or so I thought.
>
> I expected this to be as simple as editing /etc/hostname, and updating
> the live hostname via the hostname command. I now have no mail coming
> in. Changing the hostname back to the .uk version reverts operation to
> normal.
>
> So some misconfiguration somewhere, but I'm blowed if I can find it. Has
> anyone any hints, please?

postfix shouldn't be affected by a hostname change but you can check
mydestination, myhostname, and myorigin in "/etc/postfix/main.cf",
just in case, as well as whatever virtual settings that you're using
to host email for more than one domain (I've never done that so I
don't know what settings to look for).

I'd check the configuration of cyrus or dovecot (whichever you're
using) for your problem because it (whichever it is) must be the
source of your problem.