Re: linux-vserver (or equvalent) in wheezy

On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 09:40 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:58:16AM +0400, Darren Baginski wrote:
> > Looks promising. Is there any infrastructure around yet?  I mean init scripts
> > for auto start , /etc/ files like the same for linux-vserver ?
>
> This was recently discussed on -devel, and several people commented that there
> isn't yet good userland support for the LXC container mechanism.  At present,
> there are no plans for vserver or openvz kernel packages in wheezy, so wheezy
> is not going to have any well-supported container mechanism.
>
> Many might feel that this is a problem.  I think that the kernel maintainers
> may be short of time for supporting the other versions.
>
> Personally, I'm moving all our (non-Debian) vservers to KVM virtual machines,
> despite not being as lightweight, for two main reasons: one, the advantage of
> having distinct kernels per instance; two, the weightiness is not a problem
> on the newer hardware we have.

I find there are other advantages to VServer.  We use both KVM and
VServer in our environment on hefty hardware.  Not only do the lower
requirements make a difference on highly virtualized systems (nothing
like seeing dozens of small servers running in 8MB of RAM) but there are
interesting advantages that can be gained from the shared file system
and the ability to remount portions of the host file system into the
guests.

So we certainly see the need for both.  The VServer team is incredibly
talented and helpful but also very small so we are keeping our eyes
closely on LXC.  I'm just a little concerned about the userland tools.
I had heard there was talk if util-vserver supporting LXC but I do not
know how far that integration has gotten - John