Re: how are you kids compiling kernels these days?

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2012 06:18:06 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
>>
>> One of this list's regulars has a very good page:
>>
>> http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tom. By the way, I think a lot
> of the confusion in this thread comes from the fact that a linux
> kernel source package in Debian is classified as a *binary* package.
> Therefore, it is not installed with "apt-get source", and you must
> be root to install it. For example,
>
> # aptitude install linux-source-3.2
>
> There is a corresponding Debian source package for this binary
> package, of course, and it is called, believe it or not,
> linux-2.6! You can install this Debian source package, if you
> want, by means of
>
> $ apt-get --only-source source linux-2.6
>
> At the time of this writing, the version of this source package
> in the Wheezy archive is 3.2.18-1, which contains kernel source
> code from upstream kernel version 3.2.18.
>
> This issue, and many other "gotchas", are documented on the above-
> mentioned web page. If you plan to use make-kpkg or "make deb-pkg"
> to build the kernel, the "binary" package is the one you want
> to install.

You're welcome; it's very good.

The difference between "aptitude install linux-source-3.2" and
"apt-get source linux-2.6" is that the first downloads one tar file to
"/usr/src" and the second downloads two tar files (orig and diff; as
well as one dsc file) to the current directory, expands the orig and
applies the diff to the expanded orig.