User logins not appearing in wtmp?

Today I see from logwatch report 28 sshd logins
from one user at an IP address in a different
continent than usually seen here.

When I look up this user with last command to see
if this is part of a travel pattern or perhaps their
account is compromised, I don't get any matches.
I've used last and last -f /var/log/wtmp.1
with the user name and there are no matches.

Yet finger shows a login from Apr 24, which jives with
their last .bash_history update

One way this could happen is by use of sftp/scp.  Is there
a way to get last to record these sessions as well?