Re: what did hwinfo do to my machine?

On 6/4/2012 9:41 AM, Dan B. wrote:

> Also, I wrote:
>> GRUB takes about 8 seconds between displaying the the "Welcome to GRUB!"
>> text and the "error: fd0 read error." text...

Somehow I missed this.  fd0 is your 3.5: floppy drive, and apparently it
has gone South.  Disconnect the data and power cables from the drive,
disable it in the BIOS, and see if the grub and kernel boot delays
disappear.

Or, maybe it's possible you don't have a floppy drive, but one is
configured in the BIOS.  This may also cause a lengthy delay.

--
Stan