Re: what did hwinfo do to my machine?

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:15:01 -0400, Dan B. wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 00:05:13 -0400, Dan B. wrote:
>>
>>> After I ran hwinfo (to detect a modem), my machine runs very slowly at
>>> the beginning of booting.
>>>
>>> (GRUB takes about 8 seconds between displaying the the "Welcome to
>>> GRUB!" text and the "error: fd0 read error."
>>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Well, that error can be relevant.
>
> How?  It's not the *presence* of the message that has changed.

My crystal ball did not mention that the above error message was present
before ;-)

> It's the *delay* between the "Welcome to GRUB!" message and that "error:
> fd0 read error." message that has changed (to 8 or 9 seconds, from
> something close to zero).

Yes, I know that behaviour; it's the same long delay I get in one of my
testing virtual machines.

> Besides, that error message (presumably) simply means that GRUB didn't
> successfully read from the floppy drive, which makes perfect sense since
> there's no floppy in it.

Well, I can't tell what it means but given the nature of the message
("error") I would ensure anything is all right.

>> Try to disable the floppy disk controller (or any other FDD related
>> stuff you find) from the BIOS and see what happens.
>
> Maybe I'll go ahead and try that out of desperation, but how would that
> fix the problem?  Things were fine (GRUB loaded normally fast) with the
> FDC enabled before I ran hwinfo.

Who knows... test and tell, that way you'll discard another possible
source of the problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón