Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 23:16:09 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 15:27:15 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > Brian wrote:
> >
> > I guess it depends on which packages you tell the installer to
> > load. One of the options is "web server," but I haven't set up a
> > desktop installation lately (all my Debian is server-side), so I'm
> > not really sure if a web server is part of the standard desktop
> > configuration, but it's certainly one of the options.
> It isn't part of the standard desktop configuration.
> > The original poster said the want to "send" a file to someone, as
> > opposed to "make available for download."  Now if I'm sending a
> > file from one linux machine to another, scp is a pretty
> > straightforward way to do it from the command line, and scp runs
> > over ssh.
> I don't think the OP really knows what he needs to do to achieve his
> ends. People are often lax in not distinguishing between making a file
> available and sending it.

Yes, I'm sorry for not being clearer. The difference really *is*
important in cases like this. Making a file available would be
perfectly all right; this is probably what I *should* have meant by one
person "--listening" and the other connecting to the listening machine,
but have it be "--listening" as in waiting for a request for download.
Miles suggested Woof in another area of this thread

> > Not sure why you consider ssh to be "over the top" - anybody in
> > their right mind turns off telnet and ftp as the first step in
> > securing a new installation - in favor of ssh and sftp.
> Telnetd and ftpd are not installed on a new installation, so how do
> you turn them off? telnet and ftp are installed but you do not have
> to use them. ssh is overkill for the OP if he only wants to make files
> available for download. If they contained state secrets I might go
> along with you and advise the more complicated and time-consuming
> procedure of setting up ssh on both machines is worth it.

Most of the time I just want the data moved (whoops, *copied*) from
host to host, with little concern for encryption. If I did want
encryption it would probably be with GPG on the file itself. :)

- --

"There are two types of people in the world: those who
  can extrapolate from incomplete data."
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)