Re: GPT pressed

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Darren Baginski <kickbsd@yandex.com> wrote:
> 29.05.2012, 02:29, "Tom H" <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Darren Baginski <kickbsd@yandex.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Perhaps I didn't search well, but can someone point me
>>>  how to force GPT partitioning scheme in the preseed.cfg ?
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2011/04/msg00244.html
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2011/08/msg00171.html
>
> Unfortunately keeps installing msdos partition table...

:(

I'd collected some info on creating a gpt label last August for future
use but I never tested it; and I thought that the above was enough
when answering your initial post; sorry. (Didn't the reply on the
second link help?) Looking through the stuff that I'd put together
from the net and from logs, there are also these possible settings:

partman-basicfilesystems/choose_label string gpt
partman-basicfilesystems/default_label string gpt
partman-partitioning/choose_label string gpt
partman-partitioning/default_label string gpt
partman/choose_label string gpt
partman/default_label string gpt

I don't know which one or ones will do the trick (if at all) or
whether you have to prepend "d-i", "partman", or
"partman-partitioning" to those that do work; but you'll, I'm sure,
need at least one of them.

There was also another biosgrub recipe fragment in my notes that's
different from the one in the debian-boot thread (without "$bios_boot{
}" and "$gptonly{ }"; the latter must be dependent on one of the above
in an auto-recipe situation rather than a requirement if you set the
correct gpt label debconf value before the recipe {guessing!}):

1 1 1 free
	$primary{ }
	method{ biosgrub } .

If there's one thing that I don't like in Debian, it's preseed. Its
syntax is convoluted and very badly documented... :(