Modify Thermal trip points, modern kernel acpi /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/

Hi on my laptop (ASUS EeePC 1215b) an AMD E-450 based system the current open source drivers in Wheezy don't manage power very well so the system overheats & the battery doesn't last long. [0]

I've got squeeze running quite nicely with kernel, fglrx & their dependencies coming from backports, but even then if you tax both cores the CPU temperature climes quite quickly.

What I'd like to do is lower the temperature at which active cooling starts

acpi -V
Battery 0: Unknown, 99%
Battery 0: design capacity 5200 mAh, last full capacity 5360 mAh = 100%
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 75.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 95.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 120.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: LCD 0 of 10
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10

is "mode critical" the temperature above which the fan starts or at which the system shuts down? Also shouldn't "mode passive" be around 50 assuming it's the temperature below which the fan turns off to rely on passive cooling?

How do I modify these numbers now the /proc/acpi thermal stuff is deprecated?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

[0] thinks are much better if you do
 echo dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
or even
 echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
the commands
 mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
tell you about GPU clock speed etc, I also had
Option "ClockGating" "TRUE"
Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "FALSE"
Option "DynamicPM" "TRUE"
in my xorg.conf but I haven't yet tested which of those has the most impact.