Sound on Squeeze

Hello, all!

On a new installation of Squeeze the sound is muted.  I have checked Alsamixer
and made sure that master and PCM are not muted, as recommended by Claudius.
But sound is still muted.

A large part of the problem is that I am a total ignoramus when it comes to
sound, so although i have launched both Alsamixer and Kmix (consecutively,
not simultaneously!), I can see nothing wrong.  But as I don't know what to
look for, (other than, thanks to Claudius, the 00s in Alsamixer for Master
and PCM), that is not surprising.

Where do I look next?  And for what do I look?

Thanks,
Lisi