Re: backing up

Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>    Just for fun I created a new user (my wife)..and ran a session under
> "her" account...she could not write to my directory so nothing happened.
> This whole thread has convinced me I need to learn more about bash and
> scripting :)

It's not difficult [*] to check what userid the PostSession script
runs as, and it is definitely root. So your script will backup your
thunderbird directory (as root) regardless of who logs out.

For a generic solution you could try creating this as your
PostSession/Default:

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # PostSession
    #
    GDM_USER_FILE="$HOME/.gdm_postsession"

    if test -x "$GDM_USER_FILE"
    then
	cd "$HOME"
	su "$LOGNAME" "$GDM_USER_FILE"
    fi
    exit 0

And then you can put your custom commands in your own .gdm_postsession
file, in your home directory. (Don't forget to make it executable).

Chris

[*] Not difficult for a someone who can write scripts, that is