Re: backing up

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 13:38 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On 27/05/12 01:27 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> You're partly right :)
> >>
> >> frank@sid:/etc/gdm3/PostSession$
> >> cat Default
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >> cp -R /home/frank/.thunderbird  thunderbird.backup
> >> exit 0
> >>
> >> frank@sid:/etc/gdm3/PostSession$
> >>
> >> I failed to add "/home/frank" or ~ to the destination, perhaps
> >> thinking wrongly cp would copy to the original directory.
> >> My mistake...now fixed...
> >
> > cp -R /home/frank/.thunderbird  /home/frank/.thunderbird.backup
> > Always would do this for /frank, even if another user would close a
> > session?
> >
> > cp -R ~/.thunderbird  ~/.thunderbird.backup
> > Always would do a backup for the current user closing a session, even if
> > this user would not like to have a backup?
> >
> > Perhaps you need to check if user /frank does close a session and then
> > only backup.
> >

>    True,,but I am the only person who uses this computer...but just out
> of curiosity how would I check? Just in case I ever convince my wife to
> leave the dark-side (Windows XP) :)
>
> Frank

spinymouse@precise:~$ cat /home/spinymouse/whoami
#!/bin/sh

if test `whoami` = 'spinymouse'
then
    echo "spinymouse"
else
    groups | awk '{print $1}'
fi

if [ $USER = "spinymouse" ] ; then
    echo "spinymouse"
fi

exit 0
spinymouse@precise:~$ sh /home/spinymouse/whoami
spinymouse
spinymouse
spinymouse@precise:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for spinymouse:
root@precise:~# sh /home/spinymouse/whoami
root

Or you add a flag to a config in all /home/user_dirs, where .thunderbird
should be copied and check for this flag. FWIW the user name can be
different from the /home/dir's name. You still could do this and that,
but perhaps you can use ~ and writing to another user's home dir is
impossible. I don't know "how" the post session script is started,
someone using GDM might know it. A good reason not to reply off-list.

- Ralf