Re: [SOLVED... sort of] Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Sun 27 May 2012 at 08:56:04 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> <OPTION VALUE="postscript-hp:0/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_2200-ps.ppd" >HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript (recommended) (en)
> <OPTION VALUE="postscript-hp:1/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_2200-ps.ppd" >HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript (recommended) (en)

There are two entries for the same PPD file because two different
strings for the printer model - 'HP LaserJet 2200' and 'Hewlett-Packard
HP LaserJet 2200' - are given by the postscript-hp driver.

CUPS+Gutenprint isn't in your list, but maybe you didn't install
printer-driver-gutenprint. Not that it particularly matters if you have
something which gives printing on both machines. However, it is a good
quality driver.

The openprinting page doesn't list any best driver because that will
depend on what functionality you want. One of my print queues for the
HP 2200 uses a PCL PPD file from Generic and the quality satisfies me.
The speed of printing is also fine with it but any contrast with other
languages amounts to a religious argument as there will too many
factors (text, images, mixed text and images etc) to take account of.

The HP 2200 isn't in the full flush of youth and it is doubtful HP care
enough about it to keep providing a new PPD file if needed. You should
be fine with the Debian packages. A benefit is that any bugs in a PPD
file are more likely to fixed in Debian rather than by the printer
manufacturer.