Re: Playing Video - More questions

On 25/05/12 03:32, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> At 09:43 AM 5/23/2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 23/05/12 13:41, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>> Dear List -
>>>
>>> This might not be the correct address for this problem.  If it is
>>> not, please direct me appropriately.
>>>
>>> I am trying to play a video. The following code is in
>>> Index1.html:
>>>
>>> <video width="320" height="240" controls="controls" src=
>>>
>> <file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov>"file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"
>>

> type="video/mov" >
>>

>> Should be:-
>>
>> <video width="320" height="240" controls="controls"
>> src="file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"
>> type="video/mov" >
>>
>> You'll probably get a mime type unknown error - with Iceweasel just
>> tick the "always use this application" (or similar) and select
>> /usr/bin/vlc as the handler in the pop-up dialog
>>

>> Pick another handler if you prefer, mplayer should play Quicktime.
>> You're also missing a codecs parameter from the video tag - but
>> doesn't matter for local use. You'll need to modify your .htaccess
>> if you want to publish the tag.
>>
>> <snipped>
>>

>>> If I try to play from the terminal - /usr/bin/mplayer
>>> /home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov
>>>
>>> I receive the following errors:
>>>
>>> [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0. Could not find matching colorspace -
>>> retrying with -vf scale... Opening video filter: [scale] The
>>> selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec. Try
>>> appending the scale filter to your filter list, e.g. -vf
>>> spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
>>>
>>> Help and advice, please.
>>
>> Mplayer may need some tuning - it appears you have the incorrect
>> video output module.

Try changing the video output module in mplayer - sorry I can't give you
more help, but you're dealing with an application I don't install.

>> Try vlc - it 'should' work out of the box (*not* the one from
>> debian-multimedia).
>>

>> Kind regards
>
> ==============================
>
> Thanks to all for your advice and help.  I still cannot get it to
> work.

I suggest you confirm that your .mov movie is valid before spending time
trying to put the video into a web page (and to stream it you'll need to
provide codec information, and change the src=file:///)

> There was an error in the statement of the <video> tag.  I had it as
> you suggested.

I tested (the tag) with a known working .mov file.

> Let me try some very specific questions.
>
> Let us assume that the file is foo.avi
>
> 1] What is the command line, using mencoder, for converting foo.avi
> to foo.mov.

No idea - I use WinFF (from debian-multimedia, uses ffmpeg) for that.
(presuming you understand difference between container and codec)

Feeding your question into a search engine yields:-
$ for fl in YOURMOVFILE.MOV
 do
   mencoder ${fl} -o ${fl/mov/avi} -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
   mplayer -ao pcm -vo null -vc dummy -dumpaudio -dumpfile ${fl/mov/mp3}
${fl/mov/avi}
   #rm ${fl/mov/avi}
 done

> 2]  What is the command line, using mplayer, for playing foo.mov.

No idea.
Seriously - I don't have it installed (vlc works fine).

> 3] What is the HTML5  code, using with the <video> tag, for playing
> foo.mov.

I suspect you misunderstand the difference between legal use of the tag
(what you have) and support for your use of the tag (which you won't
get). As yet the tag is not widely supported - it won't work with Safari
3.1.2 (under WINE).

You can test for support by seeing if a browser will render text between
the video tags. eg.

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls"
poster="http://http.cdnlayer.com/itke/blogs.dir/36/files/2012/01/chuck-norris-thumb.jpg";>
<source
src="http://*.*.*.*.*.*/uploads/files/419ScammerScammedByChuckNorris.mov"; type="video/mov"/>
  If you can read this then your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

NOTE: the above tag has been tested, with the correct IP address, but it
still requires the client to configure the application association -
less than ideal.

> 4] Using the answer to #2, can we force foo.mov to be played with
> mplayer.

No.

*If* mplayer will play your .mov file then you just need to set that as
a mime type association. (command line doesn't come into it)

 ie. video/mov is the mimetype you need to register (locally)
 and mov => mplayer is the association you need to register (locally).

Perhaps if you explained what you want to do?

While it's possible to use the video tag to display a mov file most
people won't go to the trouble of configuring their browser to display
it - and it (as it stands) won't stream so people will have to wait for
the whole movie to download before viewing it.  Note that the "poster"
parameter will give people something to look at while they wait, but
it's less than ideal.

> a]    I do not seem to be able to find a mplayer plug-in.

I don't believe it needs one - but I'm not a mplayer user.

> b]    I understand that Quicktime will play foo.mov.

I would hope so - it *is* a quicktime format. ;-p

> How do I force that to happen?  I have the plug-in,

What plug-in?

I'm vaguely aware of a Helix/RealPlayer Quicktime association.

On my systems the following play my sample .mov movie:-
VLC (from Debian, not from Debian-multimedia)
Miro
Kaffeine
Dragon Player
XBMC (from Debian Wheezy - it's possible that XBMC uses mplayer)

<snipped>

> Thanks.
>
> Ethan

Kind regards