Re: Playing Video - More questions

At 09:43 AM 5/23/2012, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 23/05/12 13:41, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
> Dear List -
>
> This might not be the correct address for this problem.  If it is not,
> please direct me appropriately.
>
> I am trying to play a video. The following code is in Index1.html:
>
>  <video width="320" height="240" controls="controls" src=
> <file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov>"file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"
> type="video/mov" >

Should be:-

<video width="320" height="240" controls="controls"
src="file:///home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov"
type="video/mov" >

You'll probably get a mime type unknown error - with Iceweasel just tick
the "always use this application" (or similar) and select /usr/bin/vlc
as the handler in the pop-up dialog

Pick another handler if you prefer, mplayer should play Quicktime.
You're also missing a codecs parameter from the video tag - but doesn't
matter for local use. You'll need to modify your .htaccess if you want
to publish the tag.

<snipped>

> If I try to play from the terminal - /usr/bin/mplayer
> /home/ethan/Gingy/Converted_Files/DSCF0142.mov
>
> I receive the following errors:
>
> [VD_FFMPEG] Trying pixfmt=0.
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
> e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
>
> Help and advice, please.

Mplayer may need some tuning - it appears you have the incorrect video
output module.

Try vlc - it 'should' work out of the box (*not* the one from
debian-multimedia).

Kind regards

==============================

Thanks to all for your advice and help.  I still cannot get it to work.

There was an error in the statement of the <video> tag. I had it as you suggested.

Let me try some very specific questions.

Let us assume that the file is foo.avi

1] What is the command line, using mencoder, for converting foo.avi to foo.mov.

2]  What is the command line, using mplayer, for playing foo.mov.

3] What is the HTML5  code, using with the <video> tag, for playing foo.mov.

4] Using the answer to #2, can we force foo.mov to be played with mplayer.
  a]    I do not seem to be able to fine a mplayer plug-in.
b] I understand that Quicktime will play foo.mov. How do I force that to happen? I have the plug-in, but seems that I cannot find in the preferences an option to force the Quicktime plugin.

Thanks.

Ethan