Newsgroups: linux.debian.user
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Install Squeeze with firmware

On Thu 24 May 2012 at 20:47:56 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

On Thu 24 May 2012 at 19:29:59 +0200, Antispammbox-debian wrote:

The command is

  cat isofile.iso > /dev/sdb

Look - it is 'b', not 'b1'. isofile.iso is written to the whole device,
not to a partition on it.

Ok, but I use unetbooting, is the same?

No! It is not the same. It does something completely different. It may
work but I would not recommend you use it in preference to the 'cat'
command. Putting an iso on a USB device in Debian is best done with the
'cat' command. UNetbootin may be a fine program but it is unsuited to
deal with Debian installer images. Its use should be discouraged for
this.

Put tigon_tg3.bin on the root of usb2. Make sure it is a FAT16 partition
*and* is formatted with mkfs.vfat. Only insert usb2 when the installer
asks for firmware. Write down *exactly* what it says and make a note of
*exactly* what happens.

usb format with gparted fat16. Is the same?

Sorry, I do not know. I've never used it. It sounds like it will create
a FAT16 partition but the partition must still be formatted as vfat. I'd
use

  mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX1

where X is a, b, or c or whatever.