Re: mp280

On Wed, 23 May 2012 15:15:46 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:11:58 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

(...)

>> I always avoid Canon devices as much as I can but if there's no
>> option...
>
> I'm not very happy with my MP-240:
>
> 1) [Binary only :(] drivers don't install cleanly on my amd64 system,
> and hacks / tweaks (don't remember exact details) were necessary.
>
> 2) Drivers don't expose the printer's full functionality - incredibly
> annoyingly, there's apparently no way to direct the thing to print b/w
> instead of color (which is easily done with this same machine when
> driven from a Windows box).
>
> 3) Printing is often poor quality and unreliable: paper jams, extra
> sheets feeding through, paper jams, text not getting printed or printed
> barely legibly, as if faded. Some of this could just be the age of the
> machine or ink cartridges, but I'm pretty sure the other user of the
> machine, with a Windows box, does not see this.

Yes, that's the kind of things I have read from Canon users, at least
when you want to get the device working in Linux and despite the good or
bad quality of their products (which I won't comment about) the worst IMO
is the lack/bad support from this manufacturer to Linux and for that
reason it has been completely ditched from my list of possible candidates
when I look for new hardware ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón