Re: ssh error - Write failed: Broken pipe

On 23/05/12 20:25, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 23/05/12 03:07 PM, elbbit wrote:
>> On 23/05/12 19:46, Gary Dale wrote:
>>> This is repeatable 100% of the time.
>> I get this error on my ISP.  I have found they are inspecting the
>> internet packets and terminating if there is too little back-and-forth
>> traffic.  My ISP is a mobile phone network over 3G so they are probably
>> trying to keep the bandwidth for phones only.
>>
>> I do "-o ServerAliveInterval=5" which has my ssh client ping the server
>> every 5 seconds to keep it alive.
>>
>> To summarise, I get rid of broken pipe errors by using this command line
>>
>> ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=5 user@server.com
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> elbbit
> I can try it, but as I said, I have a stable connection when I'm not
> doing anything. I can leave an ssh shell open overnight and it will be
> there in the morning. It's only when I'm moving bits around on the
> remote machine that I get disconnected.

In that case you may have the same problem I did some months ago.  I'm
on T-Mobile here and they like to packet inspect the TCP sessions.  I
found by putting all SSH traffic through port 443 I subverted their
system -- they don't inspect encrypted traffic for which port 443 is the
default for secure http.

On your server put this line in your sshd_config after "Port 22":

Port 443

Do a "service ssh restart" or "/etc/init.d/ssh restart".  Connect using:

ssh -p 443 user@host

See if that helps.

elbbit

--