How does partman works ?

Hi,

I made a custom debian CD that installs fully automatically thanks to a preseed file.
But i try to understand what happens between the reading of the "recipe" in the preseed file and the creation of partitions on the disk, because i don't have expected partitions size...

More particularly, i'm looking for the following informations:
- what is the purpose of "parted_server" in package "partman-base"
- how partman finally creates partitions ? I can't see any call to fdisk in partman source code.

Also, any documentation about the internals of partman could be useful, i did not find any on the web.

Cheers