Re: New netbase's policy for adding new IANA TCP/UDP assignment

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 03:37:30PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:36:50 -0700, Regid Ichira wrote:
>
> > netbase 5.0 changelog states
> >
> >   * Starting from this release, TCP/UDP ports will be added only for the
> >     actually implemented protocol even if IANA nowadays assigns both.
> >
> > Why is that?  Wouldn't it be better to quote exact IANA assignment?
>
> Mmm... good question.
>
> I wonder what's what we have to interpret as "the actually implemented
> protocol"? :-?

I'm assuming it means that if an application gets an IANA assignment on e.g.
port 6666 and by default IANA assigns both TCP/6666 and UDP/6666 to the
application, but in practice the application only binds to a TCP port, then
there's no need to assign UDP/6666 to the app in netbase, even though IANA
have, because on the off chance something does use UDP/6666, it would be
misleading for it to be labelled as the former application.