Re: how to practice.

I have a bunch of text files in a particular directory that I use to
record various ideas that come to me.

I generally name the files like this: iNNNN_keyword1_keyword2_keyword3.txt ,

so for example, i0324_toread_programming_PHP_MVC_OOP.txt

So I've got this directory with all these files in them.

The directory has an environment variable called $ideas . So if I type
ls $ideas
I get the file list and I don't have to retype the path (which is long).

If I want to get the latest file I can type
ls $ideas |tail -n1

If I want create a simple file I can use:
echo "whatever my idea is" > $ideas/iNNN_keyword_keyword.txt
I can also use ed or vim.

Actually, I could write a bash script that would automatically
calculate the next index number.

If I want to find ideas relating to something I can type
ls $ideas |grep whatever
 eg:
ls $ideas |grep toread
that would gives me a reading list. Actually this is a list of reading
lists, I could write something a bit more extensive to using xargs to
cat them all together then pipe the result to less to get a complete
reading list.

These little exercises can give you an opportunity to become
comfortable with the linux console.

A couple of commands things i use frequently are cal and concalc. I
want to use dc instead of concalc but haven't bothered to learn dc
yet.

Another idea, install and configure conky. You can learn a fair bit by
playing with all of conky's options. For example, I have a particular
directory containing active projects (actually, the directory contains
symlinks to directories containing active projects), and my conky
configuration is set to automatically display a todo list of active
projects based on the contents of that directory. When I finish a
project I delete the symlink and it disappears from the todo list.