Re: /var/swap set to 2048MBytes as configured (SOLVED)

On Wed, 16 May 2012 22:40:02 +0200
rjc <rjc@linuxstuff.pl> wrote:

> Let me guess, you have 8GB of RAM?
>
> The limit you are talking about is hard-coded into /sbin/dphys-swapfile.
> In order to change it you need to create your own config.
>
> man 8 dphys-swapfile
>
> /var/swap IS the swap file, not a config one - you can't edit swap.
>
> P.S. Please, read the documentation provided.
>
> dpkg -L $package_name will show you all the files included in the
> package (apart from the ones generated by maintainer scripts).
> If there's not manual or info pages /usr/share/doc/$package_name
> usually contains some documentation and/or examples.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks for that, I have actually been doing a bit of reading since my last post and
discovered the utility 'mkswap' in the package 'util-linux' I ran this on my swap
partitions (yes I use partitions instead of files, 'dphys-swapfile' couldn't help
and left a # message to that effect in /etc/fstab

I found it rather nifty that mkswap will produce a UUID number for the
swap (device) it just made. Nice to be able to paste this directly into /etc/fstab
that was good thinking. I also found out I can use the swap partition on my 32bit
version of Debian on another disk.

--
CK