Re: something about the dnet-common

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 03:43:49PM +0200, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:35:23 +0800
> lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My curiosity is that why during the full-upgrade, it's installed the
> > dnet-common. Is it something important?
>
> I too was wondering about that just now, when a DECNet configuration
> dialog popped out on my screen, during an aptitude upgrade. AFAIK,
> DECNet is some old network protocol which is mostly unused nowadays.
> Why would my system decide to install support for it all of a sudden?

"aptitude why dnet-common" should be able to tell you why dnet-common
was installed.

Watch out for the dnet-common package though. DECnet requires that "the
MAC addresses of all ethernet adaptors running the procotcol be set
appropriately" (see setether(8)). If you've installed dnet-common, you
may find that this has been done for you already. ifconfig et al should
be able to put it back.