Re: [OT] strangeness with dhcp relay server

On 16/05/2012 11:33 πμ, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 15 mai 12, 16:51:02, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
>> I had some insight from the Cisco support forums. Apparently DHCP Relays
>> are meant to forward requests *outside* the LAN, and should not be used
>> when server and relay are in the same LAN. So I am guessing the behavior
>> is not defined, if this happens.
> Well, then don't use DHCP Relay :)

Haha, exactly what I did. ;-)
> Seriously, whenever I used some other machine as DHCP server all I ever
> did was disable DHCP in the box and everything just worked (this with a
> wide variety of brands).

It worked for about an hour, now the packets don't arrive at the server
at all ...except if I reconfigure the network interface on the server,
which buys another hour. Not very automagical. :-)

I am pursuing this on the CISCO forums. I think it must be a problem
with the routing of messages. Other traffic works perfectly. UDP
delivery is not guaranteed but shouldn't at least one packet out of a
dozen arrive? I even tried to set aside 14 Mbps for DHCP using tcng
(Traffic Control Next Generation) but no luck. Something along the way
must be blocking the packets. Perhaps the router thinks the packets are
needless or part of a network attack?

Perhaps I should install one of the Free firmwares to do some
packet-capturing.

I will post back, if I get to the end.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei