Re: update-alternatives

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:44:28PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> And what's what you want to get exactly?
>
> > So what does the --auto option do otherwise than showing me what I have
> > already seen in the --config screen?
>
> It does exactly what the man page says :-)
>
> --auto link
> Switch  the  master  symlink link to automatic mode.  In the process,
> this symlink and its slaves are updated to point to the highest  pri‐
> ority installed alternatives.

What I did not understand previously from the manpage is what determines
'highest priority'.  I was under the impression that one can change that
with update-alternatives and I did not realise that it was a by-product
of the packaged alternatives' installation.

After the explanation on the list and reading the man page again, this
became clear to me.

Even though technically correct, it did not help me on the first (and
second read) to understand it correctly although I am an experienced
Debian user and was system administrator for 10 years.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not
      so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for
      you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will
      come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I
      am, there ye may be also."        John 14:2,3
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.