Re: server monitoring

While I agree with many of the respondents that Nagios will do most of
what you want through the plugins (though I'm relatively new to
Nagios), I just wanted to toss a couple of others out there.

* OSSEC (http://ossec.net) is a host-based intrusion detection system
(HIDS). It is primarily email-based, but also has a bolt-on web
interface. From the website:

"OSSEC is an Open Source Host-based Intrusion Detection System. It
performs log analysis, file integrity checking, policy monitoring,
rootkit detection, real-time alerting and active response.

It runs on most operating systems, including Linux, MacOS, Solaris,
HP-UX, AIX and Windows."

The other one, Munin (http://munin-monitoring.org/), is a networked
resource monitoring tool that can help analyze resource trends and
"what just happened to kill our performance?" problems. It is designed
to be very plug and play. A default installation provides a lot of
graphs with almost no work.

--b