Re: black screen after boot up on fresh net-install (Nvidia quadro, Debian 6.0.4); trying to get to terminal mode

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-05-14 19:26 +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>> On a Dell Precision workstation, there is an Nvidia Quadro card with a
>> weird connector in which we have a "dongle" thing that provides plugs
>> for four monitors. I've been running RedHat Linux 5.5 for a while and
>> decided to try the Debian net installer
>>
>> The graphical install proceeds as usual (I've done Linux installs at
>> least 50 times), the packages install, the grub install is fine, the
>> system restarts, I choose Debian, and some lines display very quickly
>> before the monitors turn off.
>
> To get a running system, boot with the "nomodeset" kernel parameter,
> hopefully this gets X up with the vesa driver.
>
> Cheers,
>       Sven

YES.  This worked. I put "text nomodeset" in the kernel line (replaced
"quiet") and
was able to get a console and fix things up.

I decided to install the nvidia driver and used a package called
nvidia-xconfig to scribble a basic xorg.conf file that was sufficient
to start X11.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director