Dropping users making output connections.

Good time of the day.

Whats' wrong w/ my set up (I want to allow output traffic for the users
that are in the allowed group only):

iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -m owner ! --gid-owner allowed -j DROP

but what I get is that all the users including those in the allowed
group are blocked.

If I write accepting rule for every user, like:

iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -m owner --uid-owner allowed-user1 -j ACCEPT

it works for them, but I prefer to significantly reduce the load by
simple rejection: drop if not in the list/group of allowed.

Thanks for Your time.