Re: Files and directories showing in CLI but not in GUI

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:43:43 +0000, Marc Shapiro wrote:

(...)

> Document file 'xxxxx.xxx' is locked for editing by: xxx
> ( 06.05.2012 15:49)
> Open the document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.
>
> The x's above were the file name that I was trying to open and my login
> on the old system.  If I select Open Read-Only the file opens right up.
> Other files open without the warning.  I probably had that particular
> file open when the system went wonky (it is almost always open) and that
> is the reason for the warning dialog.

Run "mount" and put here the output.

> So my question is: Why do some of my files and directories show in GUI
> apps, but not all of them, while all of them seem to show up just fine
> from the command line?

By defaul, Nautilus does not show hidden directories (.my_dir) nor files
(.my_file), but I suppose this is not the problem here, right?

> Does anyone have any ideas on this?  If all of my files are actually on
> the disk, in good order, why can I only see them from the command line?

Who knows... GUIs are very useful but they can also be a headache to
debug serious problems because they pretend to be more clever that the
user, which usually works but not for all situations.

> Is there something that I can do to make all of the files and
> directories visible in GUI apps, as well?  This would make my life a
> whole lot easier.

What I would do is:

1/ Copy the whole disk content data into another device/volume/hard disk
2/ Check the copied data is okay and all the files opens fine from
different systems
3/ Then run the disk manufacturer's verification utilities to ensure the
hard disk is still in good shape and thus, usuable
4/ Format the disk and create the required partitions
5/ Copy back the data
6/ Have a cup of coffee/tea while remember yourself for the needing of
doing regular backups :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón