Re: OT: More about GPG signing

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 08:59 +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> the question is not why we should encrypt our communication,
> but why we should /not/

I encrypt some of my communication by openPGP too. No doubt about it,
there are valid reasons to encrypt some emails. But signing emails to an
open mailing list to make people aware that you know how to encrypt
mails IMO is improper. And btw. the question still is "Why should we
encrypt communication?" and not "Why shouldn't we encrypt
communication?". I hope PGP fetishists are aware about other security
issues, such as the possibility to read a tube monitor by using an
antenna, from a neighboring house. I won't make all security gaps
public. Cracking encryption takes 20 years with a super computer. The
most common gap is to keep the personal key on the computer, since
cracking the passphrase does take some minutes. Btw. I keep the personal
key on my computer. For me PGP is just a way to ensure a low level
security. PGP becomes useful for anonymous mailing etc.,when several
servers are involved, but it's less secure for private mails.

My mailer is able to display HTML, should I format in HTML to make
people aware, that I'm able to read HTML formated text?

For those using a 56k modem traffic might be important. I don't think
that storage of emails is an issue for anybody.

It might be more considerate to quit signing by default.

Conspiracy regards,
Ralf

PS: A poster from a German high-rise bunker: "Feind hört mit denk immer
dran, vertrau nicht blind dem Nebenmann" I try to translate: "The enemy
is always listening, don't trust the person beside you"
We should create a world of trust, instead of hanging on conspiracy
theories.