SOLVED: Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Christopher Judd <judd@wadsworth.org> wrote:

> Try just installing phonon-backend-vlc (and whatever
> dependencies it pulls in).

That was a good suggestion, and I was able to (kind of) solve the problem. I now can play MP4, OGV, AVI and WMV files with KDE DragonPlayer without issues, which is what I wanted to achieve in the first place.

Hilariously, a new issue appeared: VLC player can't play any of the above video files, it just starts up, shows the first frame of the video and hangs. I have to "kill -9" to get rid of it. Still it's a step forward.

Here's what I did:

# aptitude install phonon-backend-vlc
 [...]

# aptitude purge phonon-backend-gstreamer --purge-unused
 [...]

# aptitude install phonon-backend-vlc vlc
  libsdl-image1.2{a} libtar0{a} libupnp6{ab} libva-x11-1{a} libwebp2{a} libxcb-composite0{a}
  libxcb-keysyms1{a} libxcb-randr0{a} libxcb-xfixes0{a} vlc
  vlc-nox
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
1 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,904 kB/5,156 kB of archives. After unpacking 4,706 kB will be used.
 libupnp6 : Conflicts: libupnp3 but 1:1.6.6-5.1 is installed.

     Remove the following packages:
1)     libupnp3

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
  libsdl-image1.2{a} libtar0{a} libupnp6{a} libva-x11-1{a} libwebp2{a} libxcb-composite0{a} libxcb-keysyms1{a}
  libxcb-randr0{a} libxcb-xfixes0{a} vlc
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libupnp3{a}
  vlc-nox
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse
1 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,904 kB/5,156 kB of archives. After unpacking 4,329 kB will be used.