Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 06:22:49AM -0700, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Fri, 5/11/12, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want the various codecs, you need the packages that
> > contain them.
> > The good, bad and ugly packages refer to the codec licensing
>
> Ah, I see. But it also kind of validates my point: it doesn't really make sense to install all three of them, does it?
>
> Anyway, at this point I'd be happy if I could just get MP4 files to play, forget other codecs.

Actually it does make perfect sense if you want all the codecs, and
insist on using multimedia software that depends on gstreamer's stuff!
Odds are you'll need all those codecs if you want a beginner-friendly
pointy-clicky multimedia setup anyeay, so just install them already.
It takes a good deal of experience to independently decide what you do
and don't need, that's why dependency handling is done by your package
manager by default rather than by you. ;)

--
 Indulekha