Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

On 11/05/12 08:52 AM, T Elcor wrote:
--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:

You need to install, as tv.debian has already suggested, the
full set of codecs. Follow his/her suggestion and run:
   aptitude search
~S~i~n'(libav|aac|aad|gstreamer|lame|ogg|ogv|mpeg|quicktime|xine|vlc)'
then compare your output to the one listed in tv.debian's
answer.
My problem with that approach is that the list seems to contain packages that are mutually exclusive, for example, phonon-backend-vlc and phonon-backend-gstreamer. If you have the former, you don't need the later. And some packages are just weird: :)
  i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
  i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
  i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Generally, I prefer to install only the packages I need, so I was hoping there'd be a more straightforward way then that.

If you want the various codecs, you need the packages that contain them. The good, bad and ugly packages refer to the codec licensing terms and patent encumbrances.