Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

--- On Fri, 5/11/12, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> You need to install, as tv.debian has already suggested, the
> full set of codecs. Follow his/her suggestion and run:
>   aptitude search
> ~S~i~n'(libav|aac|aad|gstreamer|lame|ogg|ogv|mpeg|quicktime|xine|vlc)'
> then compare your output to the one listed in tv.debian's
> answer.

My problem with that approach is that the list seems to contain packages that are mutually exclusive, for example, phonon-backend-vlc and phonon-backend-gstreamer. If you have the former, you don't need the later. And some packages are just weird: :)
 i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
 i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
 i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Generally, I prefer to install only the packages I need, so I was hoping there'd be a more straightforward way then that.