Re: putting audio files onto a DVD

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 11:35 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 18:49 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> > > Not all WAVs have the same sampling rate, nor are they all stereo.
> >
> > apropos of what?
> >
> > Red Book audio format *is* a WAV format - as described above.
> >

> > Go back, re-read the articles you quote in full, find something else to
> > argue the toss on. And enjoy your Friday night.
>
> "An audio CD can represent frequencies up to 22.05 kHz, the Nyquist
> frequency of the 44.1 kHz sample rate. The audio bit rate is 1,411.2
> kbit/s (as 2 channels × 44,100 samples per second per channel × 16 bits
> per sample = 1,411,200 bit/s = 1,411.2 kbit/s). As each sample is a
> signed 16-bit two's complement integer, sample values range from −32768
> to +32767. Although rarely used, the specification allows for discs to
> be mastered with a form of emphasis." -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28CD_standard%29
>
> I can listen to CD, but it's very hard for me. I'm an old school audio
> engineer.
>
>   - Ralf

PS:

"WAV MICROSOFT 44.1 16bit stereo" might be named "PCM 44.1 16bit stereo"
or whatever.

"Audio CDs

Audio CDs do not use WAV as their sound format, using instead Red Book
audio. The commonality is that both audio CDs and WAV files have the
audio data encoded in PCM. WAV is a data file format for a computer to
use that cannot be understood by CD players directly. To record WAV
files to an Audio CD the file headers must be stripped and the remaining
PCM data written directly to the disc as individual tracks with
zero-padding added to match the CD's sector size. In order for a WAV
file to be able to be burned to a CD with most burners it should be in
the 44100 Hz, 16-bit stereo format." -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Audio_CDs

WAV might be a Trademark of Microsoft, anyway, you both are right in one
way or another. A CD has got cue points and perhaps some additional
information and different headers, for me it's the same.

Don't use CDs and MP3s as long as you can hear very good.