Re: OT: More about GPG signing

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 18:57 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 10/05/12 18:25, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > And what is the benefit of this on an open mailing list?
> > To ensure that somebody called or didn't call somebody else names, gave
> > right or wrong information? IMO this is infantile. Don't get me wrong!
> > I'm not against signing, if other people wish to do. It anyway is
> > senseless.
>
> I've learned a lot about GPG signing during the last few days. I can see
> there are benefits where the recipient needs to be absolutely certain
> that the sender is known to him.
>
> That is certainly not the way mailing lists work, so causing a block of
> some 400 characters to be sent to each and every subscriber is pure
> self-indulgence, on the scale of insisting on sending HTML-formatted
> mail. On balance, I think I prefer the latter.
>
> I have come to the conclusion that a GPG signature in these
> circumstances says more about the sender's sense of self-importance than
> anything else.

I'm uncertain if I should answer off-list or not ;). Because there's
such a tendency to get mails as confident as possible, I thought about
talking about psychotherapy ;). Not for me, I'm hopeless.

I don't care about 400 characters more or less. I also prefer a funny
Iconic or HTML to a signing.

:D

Regards,
Ralf