Re: Allowing people to change their own IMAP password

2012/5/9 Shaun <debian@gmsl.co.uk>:
> Hi all,
>
> How does one allow Windows users to set their own passwords if the IMAP
> server they're using is Debian?  In the past I've got them to login from
> my computer via PuTTY where I've typed 'passwd user-name' and let them
> type their own pass, but this isn't really scalable as a solution. What
> do others to in a mixed Windows/Linux environment without having to
> resort to some GroupWare product?

Hello Shaun,

i'd recommend the following options:

- Usermin - a Web interface for Linux system users to login and change
aspects of their environment including passwords
(http://www.webmin.com/usermin.html)
- There are some hacks out there utilizing PHP and PAM
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3032785/php-pam-to-change-user-password)
for changing the password - keep in mind to restrict the change
password webpage to ssl only!

- As already mentioned most webmail apps come include plugins to
change passwords for various authentication backends; here's the list
for roundcube's "password"-plugin:

 2.     Drivers
 2.1.  Database (sql)
 2.2.  Cyrus/SASL (sasl)
 2.3.  Poppassd/Courierpassd (poppassd)
 2.4.  LDAP (ldap)
 2.5.  DirectAdmin Control Panel (directadmin)
 2.6.  cPanel (cpanel)
 2.7.  XIMSS/Communigate (ximms)
 2.8.  Virtualmin (virtualmin)
 2.9.  hMailServer (hmail)