Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

On Wed, 09 May 2012 17:35:51 -0500, Stan wrote in message
<[🔎] 4FAAF147.7010400@hardwarefreak.com">[🔎] 4FAAF147.7010400@hardwarefreak.com>:
> On 5/9/2012 11:43 AM, Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> > An update:
> >
> > I tried CentOS 6.1 (the only one i had at hand) and it gave the
> > exact same result as Debian.
> >
> > I have in the meantime tried to use other RAM modules, and
> > unfortunately they also did not give more than 3.5gb. Considering
> > that i pulled the ram from a 24/7 stable system i assume that it is
> > indeed the motherboard/BIOS that does not function properly.
>
> That is not a safe assumption given how picky socket G34 is with
> memory channel configuration.
>
> > I will return the motherboard and see if i
> > can get one that works.
>
> Before you return the board, would you mind posting the manufacturer,
> part number, and specs of each of the 16 DIMMs you have installed?
> They should all match. Are they all indeed the same part# from the
> same vendor? Are they unbuffered or registered? Are they single,
> dual, or quad rank modules? All of these things matter, greatly.
>
> Unfortunately, Asus doesn't provide the proper table in the manual for
> this board that shows which combinations of speed, density, rank, and
> un/buffered DIMMs work in socket G34. SuperMicro does, and frankly
> they're the only vendor of AMD server boards I'd ever use because of
> their attention to all the details. Socket G34 is fairly picky
> regarding DIMM configurations, especially with high density (8/16GB)
> modules, though not as picky with low density (1/2/4GB) modules.
>
> 16 identical unbuffered, or registered, 4GB DDR3-1333 SR or DR DIMMs
> *should* work, so long as you don't put both unbuffered and buffered
> DIMMs in the same two slot channel.
..a test suggestion: remove 2 of the 16 ram sticks and make
sure the remaining 14 is set up according to the main board
manual's ram stick map, I saw it posted in this thread.
If this test works, you should see 56G once booted up.
Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Sorry for not replying to the earlier suggestion, i missed the mail because i was being bombarded by mails.

I did as you suggested and it did not work. In the meantime a bigger problem has arisen: During the tests i most have done something because now 48GB is not working either. I have not done anything to the OS but i have been resetting the CMOS every time i changed the RAM DIMMS.

PS. I have unsubscribed from the main list and am only getting the digest, so everyone: When replying please CC to my mail also, otherwise You will have to wait till i get Your answer/question via the digest.