Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

On 5/9/2012 11:43 AM, Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> An update:
>
> I tried CentOS 6.1 (the only one i had at hand) and it gave the exact same
> result as Debian.
>
> I have in the meantime tried to use other RAM modules, and unfortunately
> they also did not give more than 3.5gb. Considering that i pulled the ram
> from a 24/7 stable system i assume that it is indeed the motherboard/BIOS
> that does not function properly.

That is not a safe assumption given how picky socket G34 is with memory
channel configuration.

> I will return the motherboard and see if i
> can get one that works.

Before you return the board, would you mind posting the manufacturer,
part number, and specs of each of the 16 DIMMs you have installed?  They
should all match.  Are they all indeed the same part# from the same
vendor?  Are they unbuffered or registered?  Are they single, dual, or
quad rank modules?  All of these things matter, greatly.

Unfortunately, Asus doesn't provide the proper table in the manual for
this board that shows which combinations of speed, density, rank, and
un/buffered DIMMs work in socket G34.  SuperMicro does, and frankly
they're the only vendor of AMD server boards I'd ever use because of
their attention to all the details.  Socket G34 is fairly picky
regarding DIMM configurations, especially with high density (8/16GB)
modules, though not as picky with low density (1/2/4GB) modules.

16 identical unbuffered, or registered, 4GB DDR3-1333 SR or DR DIMMs
*should* work, so long as you don't put both unbuffered and buffered
DIMMs in the same two slot channel.

--
Stan