Re: putting audio files onto a DVD

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:04:21AM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 10/05/12 10:11, Whit Hansell wrote:
> > Sorry for the interruption but have tried to find a linux program which
> > will allow me to put andio files onto DVD's.  I have one particular file
> > which is just too large to fit on a CD and so wanted to put it on a DVD
> > but haven't been able to find a way to do it.  The files is an .mp3 and
> > I need it to play on a dvd player as an audio file.  i can copy it as a
> > data file but that will only play on a computer.
> >
> > Anyone know of a program which will do audio files onto DVD's?
> >
> > TIA
> > Whit
> >

> I'm not sure I understand what you want....
>
> To me an "audio" CD/DVD is a format of CD/DVD readable by CD players
> (music only). WAV files. An "iso" of an audio CD is not possible.
>
> A "video" CD/DVD is a format of CD/DVD readable by DVD players. VOB
> files. An "iso" of a video CD/DVD is possible.
>
> A "data" CD/DVD is a format readable by data CD/DVD players. Any file
> type. An  "iso" is possible.
>

> You can use K3B (or the GNOME equivalent) to burn an "audio" DVD - it
> will convert the mp3 to a wav and burn it to DVD in a single session.
> But you can't put anything else on that DVD - and there's no guarantee
> it'll play in a DVD player (some don't like burnt music CD/DVDs). Many
> modern DVD players will play mp3 files on a data DVD/CD though (don't
> need the "audio" CD format).
>
> PS. It's also possible to add music tracks to a video DVD but I don't
> know how to do it.

Not quite -- what the OP seeks is a way to write dvda ("dvd audio")
formatted dvds. I'm really not sure how to do that, as someone who
rarely bothers with optical discs, but if no better aswer turns up
here the term is dvd-aduio or dvda.
I suspect the dvdauthor package might offer this, but am not sure...
Wodim's man page says nothig about it here, using apt-cache search and
aptitude search for "dvda", "dvd-audio", etc reveals nothing.

--
 Indulekha