Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

If you're wanting to run 64 bit with all that ram, have you checked you've not got some sort of 32 bit compatibility mode enabled in the bios?

3.6Gb sounds like the bios has limited it and saved the window above 3.6Gb for device mapping.

From: Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi <haadah@gmail.com>
To: gary@dalefamily.org
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, 9 May 2012, 14:28
Subject: Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
On 09/05/12 08:09 AM, Johann Spies wrote:
Hallo Seyyed,

Before anybody starts arguing that I don't have 64-bit, this is uname -r and
uname -m:
root@n03:~# uname -r
2.6.32-3-amd64
root@n03:~# uname -m
x86_64
I have a similar problem on a computer I bought a few years ago and only
recently found that the cause might be a buggy bios.

I don't have 48Gb ram but only 4Gb and can use about 3.3Gb of it.

Regards
Johann
Both of you: Have you tried booting from a live disk for a different distro. I'd suggest something really different, like Fedora or OpenSUSE, and not one based on Debian.