Re: Questions about Netatalk running on Debian server

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 11:09:37PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
[...]
> Does anyone have netatalk 2.2.2-1 working under Wheezy?  Can you point
> me to some debugging instructions?  Or, can you lead me through some
> tests to discover what is going wrong?

I have netatalk that I built from wheezy src to run on my squeeze system.
It is serving as a Time Capsule (i.e. network Time Machine backup volume)
for two laptops running the latest MacOS X (10.7.3 Lion).

I added the following line to /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf:

- -transall -uamlist uams_dhx2.so -nosavepassword

I added the following lines to /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default (after
commenting out the existing "Home Directory" line; replace xxxxx and yyyyy
with usernames):

======snip=====
~/ "$u" allow:xxxxx,yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,noadouble

/mnt/timemachine/tm1 TimeMachine1 allow:yyyyy cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
/mnt/timemachine/tm2 TimeMachine2 allow:xxxxx cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
======snip=====

Note that /mnt/timemachine/tm[12] are mountpoints for LVM partitions. I
also had to touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported in each of the Time
Machine mountpoints.

I don't remember if I had to modify /etc/default/netatalk, but I have these
two lines which make sure the right servers start:

CNID_METAD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes

DHX2 seems to be the right choice for UAM. Users connect with their unix
usernames and passwords. None of the choices are tremendously secure. See
the Authentication section of
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.2/htmldocs/configuration.html for
details.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

> Please help.
> Paul E Condon
--Greg