Re: ACPI Menagement

On Tue, 8 May 2012 10:06:49 -0700
Riley Paxton <mrrhq1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd get rid of acpid. All it's mostly used for is to bypass the
> screensaver and darken the screen IMO. Really useless. It's mostly
> useless after booting the machine, to me.
>
> Sorry for my assumptions, but I really don't get why (U)EFI/ACPI even
> exist if they're so complicated to understand, and vary with
> instructions from machine to machine.

If I'm not mistaken, the purpose of ACPI is to help save/extend a laptops battery charge/life.

Suspend saves ram content & powers down unnecessary power drains like hard drives. Usually set to function on closing the lid.

Hibernate saves ram content to disk, then shuts down the computer. To resume, just press the power button.

Hope that helps you to understand why it gets included.

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>