Re: ACPI Menagement

On 5/8/12, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ma, 08 mai 12, 00:02:40, ricccardo wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm a newbie of Debian; I use Debian 6 with a macbook pro and I would
>> like to improve the durability of the battery. So I installed powertop
>> (1.11) but a message says: no ACPI power usage estimate available.
>> How can solve this??
>>
>> >From synaptic I see I have installed only the following package: acpi;
>> acpi-support-base; acpid.
>> Which other packages should I install??
>
> task-laptop should pull in whatever you need.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Well, I don't think older Mac PCs use ACPI. They use EFI.
Just look up "efi" and "linux" on DuckDuckGo.
Newer ones _might_ use ACPI, but I don't think so -- I don't know
because I've never owned a Macbook (I've touched one before).

I'm still looking into ACPI myself. Sometimes I confuse ACPI and APCI,
so sorry about that. My netbook's APCI is so broken that when I close
the lid for more than 30 minutes to an hour. It goes into suspension
or something, and I can't get it out, even with the corresponding Fn
key press. It's really annoying.

I'd get rid of acpid. All it's mostly used for is to bypass the
screensaver and darken the screen IMO. Really useless. It's mostly
useless after booting the machine, to me.

Sorry for my assumptions, but I really don't get why (U)EFI/ACPI even
exist if they're so complicated to understand, and vary with
instructions from machine to machine.