Re: squeeze how to hot-reload new interfaces file

El 2012-05-07 a las 18:42 +0200, Martin Seener escribió:

(resending to the list and correcting the top-posting)

> Am 5/7/12 6:24 PM, schrieb Camaleón:
>> On Mon, 07 May 2012 17:43:34 +0200, Martin Seener wrote:
>>
>>> I think i may be discussed earlier but i didnt find it yet.
>>>
>>> as all may know /etc/init.d/networking restart (or invoke-rc.d
>>> networking restart) didnt work anymore.
>> (...)
>>
>> Despite the warning, it still works (even in wheezy) :-?
>>
>> What you may also need is doing both, restarting the networking service
>> and "upping" the desired interface after editing the "/etc/network/
>> interfaces" file, i.e. and given the bonded interface is already off and
>> networking service stopped):
>>
>> ifup bond0&&  /etc/init.d/networking restart
>>
>> Should "restart" fails you can replace it with "/etc/init.d/networking
>> stop&&  /etc/init.d/networking start"
>>
>> (careful with the above command if you are running from a remote session)

> Hi,
>
> thanks for that.
>
> i try to manage this all by puppet ... but dispite this fact,

Then you YMMV. I mean, I don't know if that will interefere with Puppet
:-?

> does your solution work when i have a "standard" interfaces file and all
> of this interfaces in the "standard" config
> are up and iam connected via ssh to it.

When I'm inside a ssh session in my Lenny:

1/ Edit the "/etc/network/interfaces" file (don't change the IP of the
host you're connected to, of course...)

2/ Run "/etc/init.d/networking restart && sleep 10 && ifup bond0 up

3/ Cross your fingers ;-)

Also, remember that if you want to manage the routing (e.g., the
gateway), you better use route/ip commands that allow on-the-fly
manipulation without disturbing the networking service.

> no while on the machine i replace the interfaces file with my new one,
> no more containing the auto eth0 but instead a auto bond0 static
> declaration with eth0 and eth1 as slaves (in a 3rd special config theres
> also a auto eth2 for a High-Avail. Line)
>
> so after replacing i should do ifup bond0 && /etc/init.d/networking stop
> && /etc/init.d/networking start
> and this should run?

If you are sitting in front of the server, yes. If you are connected
remotely, use the above command.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón