Re: netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part 1 grub

On Sat, 05 May 2012 17:10:14 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Why a "learning experience"?
> 'Cause when I've finished recovering, I'll know more ;/

That did not sound reassuring :-(

> The install went fairly smoothly until it set up Grub.

You mean Squeeze or Wheezy netinstall?

> I had opted for guided install using all free space. It correctly
> detected Windows and asked permission to write to boot partition. I
> accepted.

After doing that, now the Windows bootloader has been replaced with
GRUB2. There's another option, though.

> NOW, when system boots I have 2 choices - Debian and Debian in recovery
> mode.
> a. Why?

Why, what...? Because you have installed Debian, right? :-?

> b. Can I do anything at this point to allow choice to boot Windows?

Ah, that.

Well, I don't know if that's supported right after the installation. If
yes, if it's supported and does not work, you can open a bug report
against the installer.

> [Not sure whether I have WinXP or Vista. Bought a used Thinkpad R61
> explicitly to experiment. No critical files there but having a familiar
> OS would be very convenient. Worst case, I advance experiments with
> Wine. I have only one must have program which depends on a Windows
> environment and it is known to run well under Wine.]

Windows is still there, don't panic, is just you:

- Have replaced its NTloader (Windows boot loader) with another boot
loader (GRUB2).

- The new bootloder (GRUB2) has to detect (or you have to manually add an
entry) the available OSes in your system, which is not always an easy
task. GRUB2 has a tool for doing that automatically (by means of the "os-
prober" script) which I think is run by the installer but as anything in
this world, it can fail :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón