Re: PS/2 Keyboard and Mice not working (USB is) on X

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 16:48 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:27:08PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > FWIW
> > Not working: Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2 Compatible
>
> What testing have you done?

A long time ago I tried different things. People from the Debian
community helped me to try very exotic things.

> i.e. Does it work in another computer? Does another type of PS/2 mouse
> work in the "problem" computer?

Dunno.

> Does gpm work in console mode:
> 	a) With problem mouse?
> 	b) With good mouse?

Dunno.

I learned to use another mouse ;) and worked on tuning my Linuxes to
cause zero jitter for external MIDI. This is possible and I don't know
any modern OS excepted of Linux, where this is possible. Beside Linux
only old computers like the C64 and the Atari ST are able to provide
this, but those computers aren't multi task computers, so for the C64
for example, you can

SEI ;IRQ off

or do simple checks like

LDA HARDWARE_REGISTER
LSR
RTS

to get data directly from the interface.

You can't do this kind of hard real-time on modern computers.

Anyway, JACK2 has a nice option to enable hard MIDI real-time, since
some wizard(s) did a very good job.

I don't waste time with the mouse, I need the time to set up much more
important things.

IMO Linux is the best choice for my needs, but it cause a lot of
problems regarding to basics like the graphics and other hardware, e.g.
a simple old faithful mouse.

- Ralf