Re: how can I use open-source (Xorg) radeon driver?

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:12:05 +0100, Matej Košík wrote:

> I have installed Debian (Squeeze) on my desktop.
>
> I have enabled desktop environment.
>
> By default Xorg uses VESA driver.

That means there's a problem. Radeon driver should be loaded
automatically with no user interaction.

> I have the following video card (output from lpsci):
>
>   01:00.0 VGA compatible controller:
>   ATI Technologies Inc NI Caicos [AMD RADEON HD 6450]

(...)

That explains it all :-)

There was a recent thread for a similar card (with a "northern islands"
based chipset) and facing a similar problem that you're describing:

In brief, most sure is that you're using an old version of the Xorg
xserver and kernel that cannot handle you new VGA card ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón