Re: ..solved: two video cards on Squeeze

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 02:33:54PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> > Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
> > one.  Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
> > for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other.  I'm not
> > sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.
> In Squeeze the support for dual monitors changed.  It is no longer in
> the configuration file, although it can be optionally placed there.
> Now multiple monitor a userland operation using the xrandr interface.
> This is nice actually and allows useful scripted configurations.  Use
> the 'xrandr --query' to print attached device information and then use
> the device information to specify where the monitors are placed in the
> larger logical screen.
> I have the following in my init files.  I will avoid mentioning the
> file I am using because I doubt you are launching the same way and it
> would just cause confusion.  But this is how I turn on dual monitor
> support these days.
> if xrandr --query | grep -q HDMI2; then
>   xrandr --auto --output HDMI2 --right-of HDMI1
> fi
Bob, have you tried this with two separate video cards?  I tried this
(with no xorg.conf) and it only sees my onboard video card when I run
xrandr --query.

If I create xorg.conf and get both monitors working, xrandr --query only
sees the monitor that I'm currently using (the monitor that the xterm is
displayed on, in which I'm running the xrandr command).

Thanks for the help so far.