Re: debian 6.0.4 DVD #2

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Joe Zien<jozien@comcast.net>  wrote:
I installed debian 6.0.4 DVD #1 and it is working fine.
Later I downloaded iso's #2 and 3.
Tried to boot up #2 iso, won't boot up.
How do I install 2 and 3?

On 26/04/12 23:28, Dan Hitt wrote:
I think that isos #2 and #3 are for getting packages from,
not booting.

So if your /etc/apt/sources.list does not point to a repository
on the net, and you try to install a package, the system
will prompt you to insert one of those dvds.

That is my guess only, because i was really floundering around
installing debian 6.0.4 and it kept asking me to insert the dvd
#2 (iirc).

(This was before Bob P on this group showed me how to fix
up my situation.)

Anybody who spots anything incorrect in this message, please
correct me!!!

You are correct :-)

However the system will need to know what is on the DVD before it can know to ask for it, and (unless it has changed since last time I used CD/DVDs), that is done by putting the DVD (or CD) in the drive and running 'apt-cdrom add' (without the quotes) as root. That will read the label of the disc and check and index the contents.

Nowadays though, the preferred method for ijnstalling Debian (if you have a reasonable network connection), is to download and install from one of the small netboot CD imagesa, then download only the packages you require directly from one of the Debian mirrors. This will save a lot of time and ensure you have the current versions of everything.

I realise that not every computer has a suitable connection to the internet though, which is why the full set of CD and DVD images are made available - even though very few people will really need the full set.

--
Dom